Sunday, December 8, 2013

In The Morning I'll Be Gone - The First Newspaper Review

The first newspaper review of In The Morning I'll Be Gone came out this week in Dublin's  Hot Press. The review is by Anne Sexton and is wonderfully spoiler free. For me this book was more of a traditional mystery than a thriller (most of it is taken up with an old school locked room problem) but Anne seems to have enjoyed the noir elements too. Anyway here's what she says in Hot Press
...
In The Morning I'll Be Gone
by Adrian McKinty
Serpents Tail
Hot Press December 5 

Oh, a new Adrian McKinty book? Excellent! Featuring Sean Duffy? Even better! As a reviewer you should approach an album, film or book objectively, so the fact that I think McKinty is one of Ireland’s most interesting crime novelists might have been an issue. Luckily reviewers across the globe are equally enamoured. In The Morning I’ll Be Gone is the third Detective Sean Duffy novel and as with the previous two (The Cold Cold Ground & I Hear The Sirens In The Street) mixes fact and fiction. 

The actions begins in 1983 with a mass breakout of IRA prisoners from the Maze Prison. One of the escapees is Dermot McCann, a former schoolmate of Duffy’s. He’s sure that that “with the iron logic of a fairy story” their paths will cross again and this being fiction, they do. The grey, rain-soaked streets; the paramilitary tensions; the cultural and economic poverty of 1980’s Northern Ireland are all almost tangible and McKinty delivers a rollercoaster of a thriller that will keep you turning the pages until the very end. 

Anne Sexton
...
The picture to the right is the latest cover art complete with Ian Rankin blurb. After I tweeted the cover I got a nice response from Mr Rankin himself:


I read it while on tour in Canada. Really terrific, Adrian. Congrats - as is becoming usual!

Hopefully that sentiment will be shared by some part of the reading public. In The Morning I'll Be Gone will be available in the UK, Ireland, Australia & NZ on January 30 and in the US and Canada in March.

29 comments:

speedskater42k said...

Looking forward to March!

Alan said...

Adrian,Auspicious beginning to the release of the third Duffy odyssey.They do not come any better in recommendations than Ian Rankin.I scooped up his last book "Saints OF The Shadow Bible" and it was superb.Will you be coming to "The States" for you launch?Bless Anne Sexton for no spoilers.Best Alan

seana graham said...

Congratulations on all counts.

Steve said...

Congrats. Really nice review! Looking forward to it.

lil Gluckstern said...

This will wing its way to my house, come January. I hope you get many more of these.Very nice to see.

adrian mckinty said...

Speedskater


Oh and yeah I guess the audiobook will me a March release as well...

adrian mckinty said...

Alan

I LOVED Saints. A welcome return for the grumpy sardonic Rebus now in his middle sixties.

adrian mckinty said...

Seana

Thank you.

adrian mckinty said...

Steve

It should be a fun one I hope.

adrian mckinty said...

Lil

They say Jan 30 but it always shows up a week or so earlier on Amazon.co.uk

Liam Hassan said...

It looks really good Adrian. I ve just finished the dead trilogy - really good, need to get the second Duffy book and looking forward to this one. On the Xmas list - along with a copy of sightseers.

Mickie G said...

I particularly enjoy the audio books in the Sean Duffy series. Hopefully, this one will be just as good.

adrian mckinty said...

Liam

Well I cant predict whether you'll like Duffy#3 but I can confidently predict that you'll enjoy Sightseers.

adrian mckinty said...

Mickie

Not sure whether they are going to time the audio version for the UK or the US release. I'll try and find out...

Matt said...

Why wait until March? The Book Depository delivers overseas for free...

adrian mckinty said...

Matt

Yup, they certainly do and I think they release the books a day or two before the official release date too.

Anne said...

That cover art is also a powerful enticement to any new readers out there, as well as that great title. Fingers crossed for you!

Sheiler said...

I don't know why but thought you might enjoy this acoustic version of an old song.

Love and a Molotov Cocktail

Paul said...

That's tremendous.Great praise indeed.Congrats.Looking forward to it

Allen McKay said...

Looking forward to getting this from No Alibis. This has been one of my favourite series of books ever. Another Sean Duffy would be fantastic, But whatever it is i will look forward to it. Hope to see you in No Alibis again sometime.

adrian mckinty said...

Anne

thank you

adrian mckinty said...

Sheiler

Cheers for that.

adrian mckinty said...

Paul

Still trying to put Coronation Road on the map...

adrian mckinty said...

Allen

Hopefully get to do a reading at No Alibis this year. Last year everything got shat on because of the riots, but hopefully that wont happen again.

verymessi said...

Great news, Adrian. Enjoyed the first two a lot. Looking forward to the third Duffy!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I just finished reading the second Duffy novel (actually, Mr. Doyle read it to me - great as always). I was really impressed by the book, one of your best so far. NI in the early 80ies are absolutely scary but at the same time strangely exiting and almost romantic - at least for someone who has not lived there at the time. Hope the third book transports that feeling as well.

zubair saleem said...

Classified Sites, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
hotcurrentaffairs.com

Bob Restore said...

Thank you, thank you for your books. I am a fan of the insatiable, whiny, can't-wait- till-March-why-do-I-live-inthe States ilk. My selfish wish is that you, Zoe Sharp and Sophie Hannah would write more and do so quickly.
But sincerely: thank you for sharing your talent.
Mickey Callahan

adrian mckinty said...

Thanks Mickey, I appreciate that.

It takes me about 9 months to a year to write a book which is why I'm not as productive as I'd like to be: I'd love to do more short stories, novellas etc. but I just can't seem to get the time...

Still Duffy 3 this year and a new standalone at some point this year too which aint bad for me...