Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Publication Day!

My new novel I Hear The Sirens In The Street is published in the UK and Ireland today. It's the continuation of the story of Detective Inspector Sean Duffy which began last year with the novel The Cold Cold Ground and will conclude next year with In The Morning I'll Be Gone. This time Duffy gets himself mixed up with the DeLorean car plant, the FBI, British Intelligence, lonely widows, Morrissey* and other savory and unsavory types. You can read the first 8 chapters of Sirens if you click on the link to the right of this page. We were lucky enough to get two blurbs for Sirens which appear on the jacket. Ian Rankin said "It blew my doors off" which when you read the book you'll hopefully find as funny as I did. We also got a really nice quote from Daniel Woodrell, who - as regular blog readers will know - is one of my writing role models. This is what Mr Woodrell had to say:

Adrian McKinty has the chops to do all manner of things with words, and in I HEAR THE SIRENS IN THE STREET he unleashes a strain of rough and visual, sly and lyric narrative prose in service of one hell of a story. Sean Duffy is a great creation, a figure of many parts, and the place comes alive---a uniquely beautiful and nasty part of the world I'd be scared to visit if everybody didn't sound like they might be cousins of my dad on my mom's side. 
...
You can get Sirens at the usual places: bookshops, dodgy market stalls, ebay, from my next door neighbour who has gone through my bins, maybe the occasional supermarket. If you want to purchase the book online, yes it's available on Amazon.co.uk as a paperback version and when the US version is released in May it will be available on Amazon.com. The audiobook won't be out for a few weeks as my esteemed colleague the great narrator Gerard Doyle is directing a play until the end of March and has more than enough on his plate.
...
If you do get the book I'd appreciate a review if you can spare the time (I've been subject to an unfortunate bit of sock puppeting and trolling in the last few months so it would be nice to redress the balance).
...
Anyway here's the amazon.co.uk link and if you're really desperate to get the book early in Australia or America of course Amazon.co.uk will ship it to you wherever you are in the world. Ciao and happy reading...
...
*Perhaps I should point that I'm only kidding about Morrissey (as he's a pretty litigious fellow) but there is one very oblique Morrissey reference/shout out where one of the characters in Sirens is reading Legion of the Cramps, the Cramps fanzine which, at that stage was edited by his Manky Miserableness himself.